Fun Fact: I played football against Matt McGloin and Eric Shrive (both on the PSU football team).
While at Penn State I have been a rather involved student. I have been President of the IST Student Government andVice President of Communications for my fraternity, Phi Mu Delta. I have previously been on the committees and the chair for some events such as the IST Pro Expo and Future Forum, along with other events specific to the College of IST.
Currently, I am a THON Technology Captain. My position is the Lead THINK (THON Information Network) Developer, which is the backend database management site for all of THON. I am also an IST Diplomat, which is a group of students that guides families though tours of the IST building and does other forms of service for the College.
I have had two internships in my IST experience, one with Booz Allen Hamilton in 2010 and one with GE in 2011. I gained a lot of knowledge and experience from both internships and liked them both a lot. At BAH, I worked with a diverse team to define "cyberpower" and then collect and analyze information from the G20 and rank the G20 in terms of cyberpower. At GE, I worked on the Global Communications team to work with in a transition from a standard telephone system to a centralized hosted VoIP solution. Both internships were quite different and allowed me to see how many paths can be taken with an IST or SRA degree.
When not doing all of the above, I am relaxing with friends or family. I am a huge movie fan, my favorite actors are Denzel Washington and Tom Hanks. Too many favorite movies to name.
Fun Fact: Favorite Vacation Spot - the beach, preferable the Outer Banks, NC
So, why am I in this class? I love technology and I love to discuss things. This class will give me both. Not only that, but it will be discussing important matters, those which have not been solved yet. I like to consider myself a creative guy, and this will allow me to put the thinking cap on. It will be a challenge to solve these real world problems, but I think it will be a fun challenge.
Also, to Steve Jobs, hope everything turns out ok for you. #OnceYouGoMac

Patrick,
ReplyDeleteI will be reading and grading your blog posts starting after this one, and will be posing feedback in a comment as well as a rubric.
Your internships over the past two years sound very interesting hopefully this class will provide a third perspective to where the IST and SRA major can apply. Thanks for introducing yourself and I look forward to reading more posts.
Just a reminder don't forget to comment on 2 other blogs each week.
Greg Traylor
Hello there Pat,
ReplyDeleteIt's good to see that you are so active with the Penn State and IST communities. I am also very active and I've seen you around a couple times during SRA Club meetings and IST Student Government meetings.
We share some interests about this SRA 397A course. I'm really looking forward to using my thinking cap to help find solutions and new opportunities in the field of crisis informatics. Hopefully we'll all be able to put our ideas together and impress the visitors we'll have this coming semester.
I'm looking to apply for an internship through Booz Allen Hamilton, so if you talk about your experiences there, I'd really like to know what you thought about your time there.
One last thing, with your favorite actors, both Denzel and Tom are pretty awesome, but I have to add Morgan Freeman on that list too. Perhaps a future movie with the three of them would be pretty cool?
I hope you had a nice weekend!
Adm1nthony